Elanor Kerrigan & Rick Imgraham Join Bert on Something's Burning
May 27, 2019
Comedy Store regulars Eleanor Kerrigan and Rick Ingraham help Bert make Deep-fried Mac and Cheese Balls and Waffle Iron Corn Dogs on this episode of SOMETHING'S BURNING. Who do you think burns themselves first? Follow along with the recipe below!
Deep-fried Mac and Cheese Balls and Waffle Iron Corn Dogs
2 dutch ovens
Liquid measuring cup
Paper towel plate
DEEP FRIED MAC AND CHEESE BALLS
MAKE MACARONI AND CHEESE BALLS:
- Bring water to a bowl and cook macaroni until just shy of al dente.
- Drain, then transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted and pasta is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and whisk to form a paste. Continue to cook, stirring, until raw flour scent is gone, about 1 minute.
- Whisking constantly, add 2 cups milk in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined.
- Continue stirring until sauce comes to a simmer and begins to thicken slightly. Reduce heat to medium-low
- Working in increments, whisk in 1.5 pounds sharp cheddar cheese until a smooth, emulsified cheese sauce forms; do not let sauce come to a boil.
- Whisk in:
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ garlic powder
- Scrape cheese sauce into pasta and mix until evenly coated. Add ½ pound Gruyère and mix well.
- Scrape pasta into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
Deep-Fry the Mac and Cheese Balls
- Heat 2 cups oil in pot
- Using pre-made mac and cheese, scoop it into balls
- Make dredge: In a bowl, beat 2 eggs and pour panko in another bowl
- Dip balls into eggs, then dredge in Panko, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add balls to the Dutch oven and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
MAKE WAFFLE IRON CORN DOGS
- Heat waffle iron
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine corn muffin mix, 1 egg, and ½ cup sour cream. Stir until evenly combined then fold in ½ cup cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons chives.
- Cut 2 hot dogs in half lengthwise and then in half the other way
- Pour some batter on the waffle iron, top with two hot dog pieces per section of the iron, then top with more batter and cook.